Going to go through my experiences doing some things for 40K (table top,. In most instances this will just be some things to keep in mind if you are doing something similar either for ideas or just what not to do.
Completed this project end of August but wanted to wait for my impressions after the fact to get a more accurate durability estimate. I didn't follow anyone's guide for my building, but just started with base materials or general ideas (although A Sent One did comment that he had made a felt topped table in the far past and the felt didn't last).
Base table-top I used an oak plywood for Home Depot that they cut to 4x6'. Fairly cheap and shouldn't warp over time, along with being stiff and durable. I did have to sand the edges quite well to get rid of the splinters though. I could have probably went just a bit cheaper here since I ended up covering everything up, but I wasn't necessarily planning on that to start with. The felt I got from Joanne Fabrics, type premium, it said for pool tables and such.
|4x6' Oak veneer plywood|
|Premium felt for things like card playing pool ect.|
|Board with construction paper under edges to protect floor from overspray|
|The spray adhesive|
|Sprayed it on one direction, and then not showed 90° direction|
|Felt on the board|
This is the first fold of the felt wrapping it around the back
This seemed like to build up the least layers of felt, or at least the best I could figure out. I used the spray adhesive for this also, if it didn't hold up or stay stuck down I was going to use staples but it seems to be stuck on there forever.
|Final look of the folded felt.|
Another option that I have looked into more recently after this was done (maybe for another table some time in the future) is Rustoleum has a deck/concrete paint for restoring decks and there is also a spray for anti-slip that may work well for the back.
The final position of the yoga mat glued on the back. Unfortunately, I was in a hurry due to the spray adhesive having a limit on time before tacking the surfaces together and one mat shifted slightly as I was tacking it down. It is not possible to do anything about it afterwards, it is stuck down for good as soon as you put it down. I tried to just do half of each yoga mat along the long edge by folding it over, spraying both surfaces and then tacking that down. It worked well for one mat, but the other got just a bit shifted and being in a hurry I started to tack it down, and there was nothing to do after that so I just finished it. That is why there is a space in the center. I also ended up having to cut off the extra yoga mat along the long edges with a xacto blade.
|Glue overspray on edge with right side cleaned up.|
|My new project table|
Some of the final looks with the felt tabletop on the project table. The felt is smooth on the top, and it seems like it should be good for quite a while, time will tell I guess. Some of the terrain pictured are works in progress, stay tuned for further posts.