Thursday, January 10, 2013

How to Paint Grey Knights Relief

Finally satisfied the itch I've had since seeing words in Grey Knights armour.

This isn't be-all-end-all of painting Grey Knights relief.  Experiment and paint it however you like.  This is how I did it.





Trim can be painted whatever colour you want.  I went with Vallejo Brassy Brass.

I wanted the background to pop so that washes would have a hard time dulling it.  Mithril Silver for basecoat.

This was fun and surprisingly disappointing.  Was worried might have to put bits of gold here and there to make it pop.  Or just paint over it with thinned gold.  Washed with Devlin Mud, Army Painter Strong Tone.


Finally getting the colour I wanted.  Second wash is Gryphonne Sepia.  Produces the golden hue I wanted.

You'll probably notice that I didn't wash the entire relief with Sepia.  I painted lines of the wash over it and allowed the wash to find its own level.  The plan is to make the relief look darker in some places and lighter in others without considering a light source.  Did the same for the relief in the armour.  It's easier to see on the shoulder.

Little pic of all the shoulder pads with relief.


slainte mhath

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...